Time to Check Tax Withholding

Distillery CreativeTax Planning and Preparation, UncategorizedLeave a Comment

Income tax is often withheld from wages and other types of income such as pensions, bonuses, commissions and gambling winnings.

It's important to get an early start on how much you plan to withhold in tax.

It’s important to get an early start on how much you plan to withhold in tax.

Ideally, taxpayers should try to match their withholding with their actual tax liability. If not enough tax is withheld, they will owe tax at the end of the year and may have to pay interest and a penalty. If too much tax is withheld, they will lose the use of that money until they get their refund.

The earlier in the year you check your withholding, the easier it will be to make sure the correct amount of tax withheld. Here are a few tips:

When Should Taxpayers Check their Withholding?

  • When a taxpayer gets a big refund, or finds that they have an unexpected balance due.
  • Any time there are personal or financial changes that might affect their tax liability, such as getting married, getting divorced, having a child or buying a home.
  • When there are changes in federal tax law that might affect their tax liability.

How to Check the Amount being withheld

Use the IRS Withholding Calculator on IRS.gov. This easy-to-use tool can help figure the taxpayer’s federal income tax withholding so their employer can withhold the correct amount from their pay. This is particularly helpful if they’ve had too much or too little withheld in the past, their situation has changed, or they started a new job.

If your situation is more complicated or you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call the office, or discuss the issue with a trusted CPA.

How to Change the Amount being withheld

Events during the year may change a taxpayer’s marital status or the exemptions, adjustments, deductions, or credits they expect to claim on their return. When this happens, taxpayers may need to give their employer a new Form W-4,Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate to change their withholding status or number of allowances.

Generally, taxpayers should give their employer a new Form W–4 within 10 days after either:

  • A divorce, if they have been claiming married status, or
  • Any event that decreases the number of withholding allowances they can claim.

Other Considerations

  • Taxpayers, who bought 2015 insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace, should report changes in circumstances to the Marketplace when they happen. Reporting changes in income or family size will help taxpayers avoid getting too much or too little advance payment of the premium tax credit. Receiving too much or too little in advance can affect the amount of their refund or how much they may owe when they file their tax return.
  • Taxpayers may need to include Additional Medicare Tax and Net Investment Income Tax when figuring withholding and estimated tax. Taxpayers may request that employers deduct and withhold an additional amount of income tax withholding from wages on Form W-4 if they are affected by these taxes.

Please call Williams and Kunkel, CPA, LLP CPAs in Flower Mound at 972-446-1040 if you have any questions or need more information about withholding adjustments.

To connect with us to receive updates throughout the business week please follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn or Like us on Facebook.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *